Monday, May 9, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcake

By Lu

Red Velvet Cupcake, cut in halves
If you are one of our regular readers, you may notice that I have been doing all the writing lately. I am sure some of you miss Ri and are wondering where the hell is she. Well, she's been taking time off to do some traveling with her husband. She's doing something fun and I have no doubt when she comes back, she will have tons to write about. So, bear with me! I hope I don't bore you too much!

Talking about Ri, she bought me a Red Velvet Cake for my birthday. The cake was so yummy that for awhile I was craving it every day. It was hard to find a bakery nearby to where I live that sells the cake. Turned out, Labriola Bakery by me in Lombard does sell the cake and cupcake. I bought the cupcake several days in a row. I could have bought three or four all at once to eat; but, I didn't think I would want it again the next day! But, I did!

I also have been watching "Cupcake Wars" on the Food Network and I have to admit I am a little fascinated with cupcakes lately. I am usually not a cupcake fan. I didn't get why now it is so popular. But watching the show, I got fascinated on how these competitors came up with various different flavor profiles and how creative they are in creating a winning cupcake. One cupcake maker did a tuna and wasabi cup cake. That is just nuts. Not only they have to worry about the taste, but they also have to think of decorations and the display. Also, one of the carpenters on the show (they're brothers by the way - they build the displays for the competitors) is totally cute. I think his name is Justin. He's really easy on the eyes and his displays always win. I want to be on team Justin!

On the "Cupcake Wars" episodes I watched, almost every one did a rendition of Red Velvet Cupcake - thus, my further fascination with it. So I had to try and make it home myself.  Because of "Cupcake Wars" also I chose to make the cupcake version instead of the layered cake version. My first try wasn't bad, but not as good as I wanted it to be. I followed a recipe online but the bake time was too much as my cake was totally dry. However, my second try was quite good and tasted like store bought!

I ended up combining the recipes I found online - between Paula Deen's recipe and The Joy of Baking's recipe. I compared the two and I made my cake how I usually bake a cake and it turned out pretty darn good. Most of the recipes I found online are pretty comparable; so, there isn't big changes here. A couple points to mention: I prefer to bake cake with oil rather than butter. I found oil makes the cake much moister than butter. Next, we always have to use food coloring to get the red color for Red Velvet. Some people said the red coloring comes from a chemical reaction of vinegar and buttermilk. It has some truth that the reaction brought out the red in the cocoa powder. However, it only works with unprocessed cocoa, and it won't get as red as the Red Velvet we know nowadays. So, yes - red food coloring is needed. Lastly, I found out that real Red Velvet must have pecans. So, instead of decorating it with the cake crumbs, I decorate mine with chopped pecans. Here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

2.5 cup sifted cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon regular or Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoon red food coloring
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda


Heat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit/ 175 degree Celcius. Prepare one or two muffin tins. This recipe yields between 18 to 20 cupcakes. Line each muffin hole with paper cups. Start measuring your ingredients. Put dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl).


Next, measure the buttermilk, pour it into a bowl and mix it with the red food coloring. Mix it well. In another bowl, mix baking soda and vinegar and let it fizzed (wait to mix it until it is about time to add it to the batter).


In the mixer bowl, add sugar and oil. Mix well using medium speed electric mixer until it turned light and fluffy. Add egg one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then, add flour mixture and alternating it with the buttermilk and coloring mixture. Add it in three parts, starting and ending with the flour. Mix the baking soda and vinegar. Let it fizzed and add to the batter. Once it is mixed well, stop the mixer.


Spoon the batter into the the muffin cup. I found ice cream scooper works the best and the least messy. You can also try using pastry bag. However, just spooning it with regular spoon is guaranteed messy. I wouldn't recommend it. Fill it about 3/4 full.


Bake the cup cakes about 15 to 25 minutes. Yes, there's a big gap here. It is really depending on how your oven is calibrated. I would totally watch the cake especially for the first time. The recipe I saw told me to bake it between 25 to 30 minutes. My cup cakes were dry and too brown in the bottom. The next time, I only baked it between 12 to 15 minutes. I tested using a tooth pick. If the tooth pick comes out clean, not wet with batter, I'd say yank it! So, watch it and test it for the first batch.


Let it cool. Then decorate with cream cheese frosting, and sprinkle chopped pecans for decoration.

I saw some very elaborate cream cheese frosting recipes as well. However, I stuck with my super simple yet proven tasty cream cheese frosting:

2 packages of 8 oz Philadelphia cream cheese
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar (adjust to taste if you would like it sweeter - add a little more)
2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.

Whipped them good until creamy. Taste it for sweetness and then it is ready to use. Put frosting in a piping bag and and then pipe the the frosting on top of cooled cup cakes. No piping bag? No worries, just slather it! It is still guaranteed good.

Some people at work thought these cupcakes were store bought. I still haven't made it enough time to want to brag about it. Some said my cake wasn't sweet enough. However, with the frosting being sweet, I thought the cake was perfect in sweetness. You'll be the judge! Go ahead and try it! It is definitely cheaper than shelling out $5 a pop for a bakery cup cake.

When I brought these cupcakes to work, two of my co-workers made a diet resolution and would have started that day on that fine Monday morning. When they saw the cupcakes, they changed their mind! Whoops! However, they told me it was worth the calories! Whew - I didn't feel so bad then.

Hope you will try it too and make sure you set your diet resolution the next Monday, mkay?!

26 comments:

  1. hey Lu ! U become better and better,,,,not only ur writing ..but now in taking pictures too,...the 3th and 5th picture somehow makes me even drool more...huhuuuu....Good job Lu ! Now i have to clean up the mess i did... glek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet!! Thanks, Daniella! I'm trying with the pictures! I need some equipments! I didn't even have a tripod! Was so hard taking picture when I had to model it with one hand! I hope I will improve with time. My pictures are so pedestrian compared to yours!! Try making it! Its yuuummmmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! I'm a BIG fan! I luv you tell story with recipe. Not boring recipe. I like it a lot! I follow and can't wait for your next article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolina - wow, thank you so much! So happy you enjoy our blog! It makes me want to write more! I appreciate the kind words!! Keep reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise, you crack me up! I'm not a baker but I love love love red velvet cake and will definitely try making the cupcakes. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I'll let you know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Justin Blecha is his name if you're talking about the carpenter hottie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy! looks delicious lu! now I gotta head somewhere to find myself some... RVC a famous coffee shop chain that I dare not mention sells is not that good (a little disappointing actually!)...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne - bring me one when I see you next! :D

    Sarah - yes, I think that's it! I didn't like the host! His name is Justin too. He's annoying.

    Mastura - Yep, this thing is dangerous! Once you had it, you want it again. Once you see it, you instantly want it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may try this recipe this week! Was thinking of making carrot cake again but maybe it's time to try new cake!
    Mmmm...what is distilled white vinegar? Can i find in in the market?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mi... it's just regular vinegar...cuka putih biasa. You can find it anywhere at any grocery store. Real cheapo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally got you into this cake! I like it so much, I'm glad I can't get it in Kathmandu or I would eat one everyday. Ehm maybe I'll stop by Crumbs tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You definitely did, Ri. That was a yummy birthday cake. Too bad we had to leave a big chunk of it in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just got back from a run by the water in Hoboken and on my way back I stopped by Legal Beans to get my Vanilla Chai and I saw that they have Red Velvet Cupcake. I had to get one *guilty giggle*.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Legal Beans...mh...I can use a Bacon Egg and Cheese sandwich right about now! Is the Red Velvet cupcake good??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lu, cake flour sama dengan all-purpose flour?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm, who can make it for me...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mi - cake flour is different than AP flour. It is lighter, and less gluten. You can find it in store, but if not AP flour should work too. It won't be as velvety however! The traditional red velvet uses this brand of flour called White Lily flour.

    Peg - Coba buat Peg... maybe better than ones in mon ami? :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lulu!!! How much sugar should i mix with the oil??? I was in the middle of making the cake and about to add sugar then i found out you didn't write sugar measurement!! Oh no!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Good! So sorry! But this cake comes with drama! hahaha. Let me know how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where the other 2 comments went? Weird! Sugar is 1 1/2 cup and I updated the recipe! Sorry again Mi!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Finally made it last night Lu.... Should've been easy, but since I had to make 2 substitutes in the ingredients and then again with my metric cups and spoons it was one hell (sorry) of a cake to make... but well worth it....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know this is old since the other comments are back in May....
    The substitutes I had to make:

    Cake flour : for every cup, use 3/4 cup all purpose flour plus 2TBS corn starch
    (bought this earlier but used it for some other thing that had nothing to do with cake and when I went to the grocers the other night they were out of this,sheesh!)

    Buttermilk : for every cup, use 1cup milk plus 1TBS lemon juice or vinegar.... couldn't find any when u need it!

    I misplaced (or maybe somebody took it) my TBS and tsp and all I was left with was one 1/2tsp... so u imagine all the measuring and substitutes I had to endure.... but well worth it... the kids love it, I love it, the hubby love it... that's without the frosting.... will tag u in FB once I get uploaded

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi lu!! sorry ga sempet comment after i added u in fb.. :) anyway, seneng banget baca blog elu.. you write very very well!! g lagi cari2 resep red velvet cake buat anak2 eh trus liat di blog elu ada .. ntar g coba resep elu ya.. tx so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for reading Novi and for the compliment. Let us know how the red velvet turned out ya when you make it! Looking forward to hear it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lu, tx for the recipe! kata anak2, the cupcake was super-delicious! :) it's very moist, i baked them for about 25 mins though.. maybe because the cups were bigger. trus kayaknya g kurang banyak deh red coloringnya, soalnya bingung pas tadi bikin, colouring g bentuknya gel/paste.. jd ga tau conversionnya. do you have the measurement for gel/paste?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad the cupcakes were delicious! For red velvet, I think it is just easier to use liquid coloring as you have to use so much. Paste is very concentrated so hard to gauge, and too much will have an after taste. Besides, with liquid coloring, it is already figured in by the recipe the amount of liquid needed to make the batter whereas paste does not add liquid to the batter so it may change the consistency. For other things though, paste or gel may be better as you don't have to use so much and do not dilute the batter. But red velvet needs red color, and red color is hard to get in an instant. Just gauge it, perhaps next time add more if you want to keep using gel.

    ReplyDelete