Sunday, February 5, 2012

Intelligentsia Coffee

By Lu

My Latte from Intelligentsia
What a lazy Sunday afternoon today was. Driving down to the city with my friends for Vietnamese noodle breakfast, my friend CK kept on asking me "Lu, why you're so tired?" I wasn't. But you may have guessed that CK asked me because I kept on yawning. It wasn't because of the companies and the plan we were about to do. It was because I needed a cup of coffee.

I couldn't say I'm a coffee addict. I actually don't need caffeine every day. However, when I need one, I really need one. I have been shying away from mainstream establishment like Starbucks for a cup of coffee. I feel it is a shame paying that much money for coffee, and for about the same amount, you could get remarkable coffee like Intelligentsia or LavAzza. It's just too bad that there isn't any of these coffee shops by me. There's one bakery cafe, Labriola, by me that serves Intelligentsia coffee; yet, too bad they didn't make the coffee like the folks at Intelligentsia shop.

I remember my ex boyfriend, Jason, was so crazy about Dunkin Donut Coffee. I used to send him bags of Dunkin Donut Coffee when he was deployed in Iraq. I was in love back then and I played along. You know, when you're in love, you tend to ignore the not so good stuff and just use your inside voice to go euww. You try to be positive and find the good in the person. I couldn't stand Dunkin Donut coffee. It sucked. But I know a lot of people think that it's great. I guess, people have their own preference and there's nothing wrong with it. It didn't bother me that he liked it as long as I didn't have to like it too. I just happened to not favor it.

Well, you can tell that I don't really favor cheap coffee blend. They tend to be very acidic and bitter. I like single origin coffee or at the very least a really good quality bag of espresso beans from brands I trust. Some really good coffee won't be bitter and sour. Uh, who wants to drink sour coffee? If I wanted something sour - I'd go for lime juice based drinks like Margarita or Caipirinha. Not coffee...

My dad told me about why some coffee can be sour and bitter. He used to work in many coffee plantations when he was young growing up in Lampung, Sumatra. I'm sure some of you have paid big bucks for a bag of Sumatran or Mandailing coffee. He told me that the type of beans that are grown in big part of Asia especially in Vietnam is the sub saharan type called Robusta. It's the cheaper and more mainstream beans that are usually used as a filler or for instant coffee. The Arabica is the better more superior kind, but so expensive. Thus why, some coffee plantations will mix them just a touch to lower their cost and increase  profit margin. Thus why, when it is blended kind, mh...you can't guarantee the quality.

Anyway, by the time we got to Intelligentsia shop today, I was really happy. I haven't had a cup in awhile. I just had been craving a good cup that's not Starbucks or Panera or the Dunkin Donut coffee at work. I was so happy to be able to stand there and order my cup of latte.

Intelligentsia has shops in Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York. If you see one, do go in and try it. It's just simply wonderful. I don't know how  to describe it but their coffee is so smooth, so wonderfully made and just fuckin awesome. Pardon my french. I don't know much about their history other than a couple from San Francisco just decided to start serving great coffee in Chicago several years back. Thank God for them. I'm sure their website will have a history or about us page if you're interested. The only thing I remember from reading their mission was that they want great coffee to be revered, democratic, approachable and accessible. I love that but I'd say not accessible enough! Please open a shop by me!

Hand Brewing at Intelligentsia Shop
They have several ways to brew the coffee in their shop. They use the regular way of espresso machine, and they also have the individual cup being steeped and brewed by hand. Hand drip! Unheard of! I myself love making espresso the old fashion way using a moka pot and hand frother. They also have the beaker method like Alinea used for making the dashi broth (read my last post on Alinea) I love it when people take their time to produce something wonderful. I saw the guy that was making my latte, totally took his time. He filled my coffe cup right to the edge, and he made a little nice pattern on top on my milk foam. His movement was so slight and graceful, and it just made you sighed. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Because they do take their time, don't expect them to make your cup on the fly. It takes time to get your order done. When there's a line and you're in a hurry - forget it. Go back when you have ample of time. Last spring, a bunch of my friends did the March of Dimes Walk, and when we passed an Intelligentsia shop, we stopped for coffee. By the time we got our coffee, there was no more crowd of walkers to be seen nearby. They were also very serious about their coffee. My friend Kinzie one time asked for an Americano with some special instructions. They argued with him that if they did it that way, it wouldn't be good and meet quality though that was what he wanted. That was funny but I was actually happy that they wouldn't lower their standard without informing the customer for the possible outcome.

Mr. Johnny Kwang Kwang making coffee
When I took a sip of my latte, I tasted that non bitter, non acidic coffee that was just so smooth and creamy. It tasted like it should be a ten dollar cup of joe. I savored every gulp and I was just so happy. It's the best cup of coffee I had since Kopitiam in Indonesia and Singapore last November. Oh talking about the Kopitiam... I have been wanting to write about it. It's one of the best things I have done overseas and I loved it when my dad took me and my mom there for breakfast. We would go to this small traditional coffee shop where the guy was making the coffee in such an old fashion way with old apparatus. The coffee is strong and wonderful. He filled the glass half with condensed milk, then he added the strong coffee. It's a tad sweet for me, but with a little adjustment - it was the best thing to start  your day with. We also had soft boiled eggs, steamed buns and some toasts at times with it. I really really miss waking up early in the morning to get this coffee at Johnny Kwang Kwang Kopitiam in Kelapa Gading, Jakarta. I guess I don't only miss the coffee. I also miss my parents.

However, drinking Intelligentsia today, though it is a different type of coffee, it really satisfied my craving for great coffee. The coffee back home is 50 cent. Intelligentsia is almost ten times that. Again, I wasn't trying to be snobbish by not liking the Dunkin Donut and the sort. They're not cheap either. Buying those bags for Jay didn't break the bank, but it wasn't chump change either. All I am saying, if we have to spend the money - get the best one.

Well, we all have different preferences, likes, and dislikes. If you want a good alternative and want to try an awesome coffee by my opinion - try Intelligentsia coffee. Find location on their website by clicking this link.

8 comments:

  1. Where can i find this Johnny Kwang2 Kopitiam, Lu ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad said from Apartment Wisma Gading, turn left and go straight until the bridge. Pass the bridge, it would on the right next to apotik.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, individually dripped at Intelligentsia? Do they do steep? It's so hard to find a cafe that steep their coffee here!
    There used to be a kopi tiam place, but they closed now. Only one malaysian place now I know that steep their coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lu please open an Intelligentsia cafe in the burbs ! Wl definitely be your regular customer !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't tried coffee Kwang-Kwang!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are you waiting for? Go for a walk with the parents one saturday morning and go to Kwang Kwang for some steamed buns, soft boiled eggs, and kopi tarik!

    ReplyDelete