Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Louise's Killer Carrot Cake

The picture is my sister, Ri's carrot cake. We are both pretty good bakers and we love carrot cake. She's a little more creative by taking the time to do the carrot thingy on top. My carrot cake never had that adornment as I'm too lazy. But, I have made my carrot cake into other purposed cake like birthday cake and baby shower cake where I had no choice but to decorate it. But usually mine is just simple, frosted with cream cheese icing, but it is guaranteed scrumptious!

My carrot cake is pretty famous amongst my friends and coworkers. It has even been dubbed as "Louise's Killer Carrot Cake." I used to bring it to work and it would be gone in a snap. I had coworkers that gave me money so I would make it. I had people ordered it. This is one of my best sellers I guess if I opened a bakery.

One of my biggest carrot cake fans is my sweet sweet loving friend, Eve. She's like a mother to me, and she's always my biggest supporter in everything. I love her to death as she always has my back. Her husband, Frank, also loves my carrot cake. Every time he eats another carrot cake, he would compare it to mine. So far he hasn't found better and he always said.."It's not as good as Louise's..." Hope it stays that way! Talking about Eve, her birthday is coming up. Plus, on that day, my executive VP, the number two guy in my whole company is coming to our office on her birthday which is Sept 13. He loves my carrot cake! He would asks for it and would eat several helpings! Perfect! I guess I will be baking carrot cake in a couple of weeks! I usually bake the cake for Eve's birthday and Frank and Eve would bake me my favorite cherry dump cake for my birthday.

That's the least I could do for her. Poor lady, she has to listen to all my rants, mood swings, depressing facial expressions...but also if I were really happy, I couldn't wipe the smile off her face for being happy for me. I couldn't imagine work without her. I hate it when she goes on vacation! She's been so supportive throughout my break up with Jason, my divorce to Mark, and every other stumbles I came across in life in the last 5 years. She would go out of her way to make sure I am happy. I love you, momma Eve. She's also another one that tells me that one of the best qualities I got is my heart and never to change that. Only fools will mistake kindness for weakness. Amen!

Anyway, this recipe was actually published! Yeah it was published for a dog rescue organization's cook book but so what! It is published. You won't be disappointed with the result either!

Ingredients:

1.5 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups a.p flour
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
2 tsp korintji cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 small can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 cup grated carrots
walnut and pecan, chopped (sparingly)
1/2 cup shredded coconuts (optional)
2 box of cream cheese
2 or 3 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp of vanilla

Prep:

Preheat oven to 350 degree

Measure and add all dry ingredients together. Blend well

Mix sugar with oil until it is creamy. Add egg one at a time.

Once it looks like it's blended well, add dry ingredients to the batter. Mix well

Add carrot, pineapple, nuts, and coconut. Blend well.

Pour batter into a standard rectangular cake pan 11 x 7 or 13 x 9 depending on how thick you want the cake to be. Bake for about 50 minutes or until it is done. Test using toothpick. If it comes out clean, it's done.

Frosting:

Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together. I would add 2 cups of sugar first, then taste it, if you want it sweeter or less sweet, play with the third cup of sugar either adding extra or omit. Once it is whipped, slather on top of cooled cake. Slather it thick!

I have talked about getting people's trust, getting what you want through food, and this cake has done wonder for me. There are people in general that would do less than the honorable to achieve their goal whether it is at work or outside. I'm sure all of us know at least one form of an Ass Whisperer. Not me. All I have to do is bake. You just have to bake quite well. When I just began working for my company, I started getting recognition when my colleagues learned of my skills. They then started to come to me for help. But when I started bringing cakes, especially this carrot cake, they started to love me. One of the high up department heads that was considered hard to please due to his high taste, loved me just because he loved my foods. It is just so much easier to share love with others through what you like to do to get love back than making crazy efforts trying to get their approval. When I see other people jumping through hoops and being manipulative, or mean to get what they want in life, I could shake my head in disbelief. I am glad that people love me just because.......just because of my carrot cake is a killer! No shame in that!

I made carrot cake for Jason's mom for mother's day. I loved his mom, Kathy, to death as she's such a sweet lady. When I was introduced to her, she gave me a hug and told me with a big smile, "Thank you for making my baby so happy." I almost cried and told her he made me just as happy. She kept in touch with me even after we broke up and she showed me that one's effort was not wasted even when nobody seemed to care.

The first day I saw him again after he got back from Iraq, we were in his car and he was holding my hand and kissing it and I asked him if I should make carrot cake to bring to his mom's and he looked at me with love as he nodded enthusiastically and said "I want you to make carrot cake." I of course informed him about it when he was in Iraq about my world's famous carrot cake. I brainwashed him already :D. He was with me when I baked it. He said my apartment smelled sooooo good and he couldn't wait to taste it. We brought it to his mom's house and they had a family gathering for mother's day. I met a lot of people from his mom's side, aunt, grandmas, sisters..every body. I fit right in and had a great time. They of course loved the cake too or so they said! We talked for hours around the fire that his step dad started outside at their fire pit. Before I left, at his mom's kitchen, he grabbed my hand and turned me around. It was the first time during the day when we could be alone. He grabbed me and cupped my cheeks and kissed me with everything he's got and he said "I love you so much... you're perfect. My family loves you...I love you so so much." I would never forget that moment, even after what happened later on and the fact that we weren't together anymore. That is how I wanted to remember him, a friend and a man who loved me.

So yeah, carrot cake is one powerful cake. It has brought me great friends I would cherish for life. It has brought me approval from coworkers and the people that have power over my career and livelihood. It has brought me oh sweet love.

Never underestimate the power of tasty baked goods. That's my advice for the day.

13 comments:

  1. My wedding cake was carrot cake. The baker advised me against it, but I insisted because I love it. I wonder if the guests thought I was crazy for choosing such an "unsophisticated" cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lu, bikinnya pake mixer atau cuman diaduk doang batter nya?
    Trus cream cheese and sugar nya di whip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi...

    You have to use a mixer for both batter and cream cheese icing..

    Let me know how it turned out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lu, as i'm writing this i am waiting for my cake in the oven!
    I made 1/2 recipe because it would be too much for both of us.
    It's been 50 mins but the cake is still not done. The upper part is brown already but when i checked the inside with bamboo stick, it's still not done.
    Maybe it got water from the carrot that it takes longer to cook? I drained the pineapple.
    AND i mistakenly took 1/2 teaspoon measurement instead of 1 teaspoon. So the cake will have less baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. But i tasted the dough just now from the bamboo stick, it's good!
    So anyway, i just moved the cake to lower shelf of the oven hoping the upper part doesn't get more burnt.
    Let's see...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another goofy thing: i dropped half eggshell in the batter when i was mixing it and part of it got crushed by the beaters. LOL. So it has additional ingredient :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi..

    Yeah, it takes awhile to bake, and the top is always really brown, but not to worry the inside will stay moist.

    #1 Rule of baking - never ever crack an egg on top of your batter! Crack the eggs and put it in a bowl..it's an extra bowl to clean, but no shells in the cake! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY i did it!!! Super yummy Lu!
    I cut the cake in half and slather more frosting in the middle. I'm not good in decorating cake so i leave it plain...
    Should this be stored in the fridge?
    Thanks so much for the recipe!!!! It is indeed a killer :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow..congrats, Mi :D Glad it turned out ok! Definitely need to be refrigerated due to the cream cheese icing, make sure you cover it with saran wrap so the icing won't dried out. Hope Will like it too! Thanks for trying the recipe! Klik like donk kalo suka teehee..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lu, i'm going to make it again for my bro-in-law birthday party this weekend! Nervous!
    Kali ini bikin seluruh resep lah ya. Eh Lu, pas mixing, what speed should i use? Medium or just low is fine?
    Also, how do i make the decoration? Looks so advanced to me :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, Mi..do it! You should use medium speed even a little high but not too high. No low speed. You want the oil and eggs to get volume.

    Decoration like in picture, you need a pastry bag and food coloring. If not, just spread the icing evenly and buy ready made cake decorations from store you can add on top like sprinkles or colored sugar, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lu, i made it!
    Everybody loved it!!!! Woooohooo!
    Oh i have to show you some pics:

    THis is my first carrot cake:
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5020/5421899621_4401188a77_z.jpg

    And this is the second from last night:
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5056/5421900859_cc0bca0557_z.jpg

    Not as beautiful as yours, it was my first time ever decorating a cake i made myself!
    Thanks a bunch Lu. Will keep following your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mi, gaya lo! :D It looked awesome!! So glad it turned out great! You don't know how happy it made me feel! It made taking the time to write and share recipe worth every second!

    ReplyDelete
  13. my carrot cake has been baking for 45 minutes and the middle is still undone (pretty much still batter). how much extra baking time would be sensible?

    ReplyDelete