Saturday, January 8, 2011

Indonesian Beaches

By Lu

It is freezing outside and right about now I am envisioning myself laying on a bed of white sands of a secluded beach somewhere tropical, preferably, at home in Indonesia.

Perhaps, there are some people that have never heard of Indonesia except that it being the biggest Muslim country in the world and location of several bombing incidents, or where recent volcano eruption took place. This country is rich in every sense - rich of people, rich of resources, rich of culture, rich of beautiful sceneries, and rich of great food. Every time I am home, I can only agree that there is no place quite like it.

No one can argue that Indonesia despite the turmoils of natural disasters, it is still one of the best existing paradises in the world. When Tony Bourdain said on his episode of No Reservations, that could be it - the end, being there in Indonesia, as nothing could top that, I could only feel a sense of pride that I know every Indonesian would feel. We are truly privileged to experience such natural beauty, and for some, to wake up every morning to it and live life. I had to have a dream to be a journalist, marry a rock star, and left all this beauty behind. Yet, one thing I strive each year is to make enough money so I could go back and savor every bit of nuances of Indonesia I call home.

Most would associate Indonesia with Bali, and it is a great association as Bali is truly a garden of Eden. You can't go there just expecting tan. You will get the tan, and a big smack of cultural experience, a place so rich with stories, wisdom, people, and serenity. The movie, "Eat, Pray, Love" definitely helped painting a picture of what a paradise Bali is, and that you should make it your next vacation destination.
It has been several years since I've been to Bali. That picture is taken maybe in 2002, after watching a show of Balinese dancing that depicts the "Ramayana," or in Balinese it is called "Kecak." Fantastic dance showing a love story of Rama and Shinta, and the whole ordeal when Shinta was kidnapped by the evil giant, Rahwana. Yet, at the end love prevails. We still had an easy way at the time to have a family vacation, when my 2 sisters were still single and resided in Jakarta. Now, we're scattered all around the world. Though, we still manage to see each other as a family quite often.

You will hear bad stuff about Bali as well, as it is very popular and is laden with tourists. Kuta Beach is a destination like any other tourist destinations in the world...clutterred with restaurants, shops, clubs, and just too many damn people. You just have to know where to go.

I love it in Ubud. Ubud is so artsy, and so far removed from the crazy touristy thing, though it is gaining popularity. The suckling pig in Ubud is to die for! Just imagine, a nice Balinese pig, in a fire pit, roasting and basted with spices and coconut water until the skin is crackling and crispy. I do agree that pigs are too smart to eat, but they are also too good to not eat. So I chose to eat it and appreciate every bite. Babi Guling Ibu Oka (Ibu Oka's suckling pig) is probably the most known, and they're good. Small restaurant, you eat on the floor with a short table, in the prayer pose pretty much, enjoying rice, a small salad of boiled vegetables sprinkled with roasted coconut shaving, blood sausage, and the pig..and oh, they are atomic spicy. For me, it's like a nuclear warhead and high on the Scoville scale of heat. I am a little sissy when it comes to chili, and definitely not very Indonesian of me. If you can afford it, check out or google the Aman Resort. Oh God, now you can really do it in style. I can only dream and hope my brother in law will go back working in Indonesia so we can get expat rate.

My favorite experience of Bali was the Ayana (Ritz Carlton at the time I went) spa in Jimbaran. Ri and I took taxi there, and coming from Kuta, I didn't know that the place was quite secluded. I almost for sure thought the taxi driver was going to kidnap, or rape, and kill us. I was so scared as it just seemed he took us to the middle of nowhere. Each turn got even more suspicious. But then...there it was...a gate to the Ritz-Carlton. Who knew. I had a 2 hour treatment massage and I could say it was simply the best spa experience I've ever encountered. I wish I had pictures. After reception, they took me to a locker room and I changed to the robe and they took me to my room. The treatment room was huge, with the massage table, and soaking tub, shower, and a balcony. My therapist took me to the balcony where I sat and watched the Pacific ocean with tall ships passing as my therapist washed my feet in a tub filled with water sprinkled with plumeria flowers. All I could think was....oh...Jesus, it was heaven. After 15 minutes, she started the massage, a traditional Balinese massage with aroma therapy of Balinese spices. I fell asleep, which made me mad. But it was so relaxing. After 1 hour of full body massage, time for the soak. I soaked in the tub that has been spiced with tea and plumeria. They served me ginger tea and some coconut steamed cake. After that, it was the rainfall shower.

This spa is also known for having the biggest Thalasso pool. It is an aquatonic pool, filled with some hundred thousand gallons of water, and it can perform all kinds of massaging water treatment. Awesome. I bet you think this cost me my retirement saving? No! It was cheaper than going to a regular crappy spa in Chicago. Thus, why top shelf indeed!
My sister, Annette, met her husband, Werner in Bali as well. He would take time off from his job as a corporate lawyer, and spent months surfing there. Bali is a haven for surfers. Little did he know that not only he was able to experience the rip curl of the waves, but also found himself a wife! There he is (on the left) with his brother, Stale (pronounced Stolah - I am missing the little circle on the a on his name).

But Bali is only one island out of 17, 000 and some islands Indonesia has. Most of the islands would have some sort of beach and you will never run out of water front in Indonesia. From Sumatera, Sulawesi, Borneo, to Papua, you won't be disappointed if you are looking to experience a beach, that is pure, non-pretentious, and serene. Of course, we can also offer you the best money can buy.. but look at this picture of Pantai Maluk (Maluk Beach)
in Nusa Tenggara Barat in the island of Sumbawa. My God...I'm sorry I didn't mean to keep mentioning God's name with no respect, but I said it due to respect as when you look at this beach, you couldn't help but say grace and thank God's greatness. That is my friend, Erlangga, enjoying God's creation, all alone like the beach was his own backyard...white fluffy sand bed, blue greenish water, and I could close my eyes and feel the warm island breeze. The only thing missing is the coconut drink straight from the fruit. I have to make it to this beach one day. I will put this one on my bucket list.

Lampung at the bottom tip of Sumatera, the place where I was born, also has many beautiful beaches and they're simply called "White Sands." or Pasir Putih I haven't made it there in many years. I've never had enough vacation time to venture to all kinds of places when I went home. Plus, last time I was home, the Krakatau (Krakatoa) volcano, the beast of all the volcanoes,
was showing some activities, and my dad was like..no, not taking chances. I remember going there as a child and I would watch my older cousins fishing in the beach using just the lines, almost like fly fishing without the pole. They did good too, but the sea was filled with so many fish at the time that it wouldn't be hard at all to catch one or two, especially if you knew what you were doing. I wanted to go Carita Beach too, and I remember vivid memories going there. My uncle Harry worked at the time for a big oil company who owned several beach front cottages at Carita. We used to go there - the whole Alam clan, and we would sit at the pier till late at night talking, looking at the stars, and shooting the breeze. In the early morning, we would go to the fish auction, seeing the fishermen coming back from their trip, and we would buy the freshest fish available. It just made you want to open your own restaurant looking at the freshest ingredients just right there in front of your nose...Pomfrets, Barracudas, Mackerels, yum!!! Then we would cook, grill, fry all these fish, squids, shrimps, and just had a feast. Too bad, Carita was also on the way to Krakatau, and my dad said no.Here I am snuggling my down comforter in this cold Saturday in Chicago. It is white outside, and I will have to bundle up to go out today. Yet, writing this blog, and thinking about the breeze, soft sands in between my toes, and the ability to let go and just soak in the sun, feeling the sweet sensation of home, I do truly feel warm.


4 comments:

  1. Now you are making me miss the Indonesian massage! It's so dirt cheap out there. And much better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Mi... :) We just have to make it a point to go there often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When did you get in touch with Erlangga again? I was wondering who that was on the pic you posted in fb...

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was in Chicago last year, so we all met up and had dinner. Then saw him again when I went home last November. He's doing good!

    ReplyDelete