Monday, January 3, 2011

The Elysian Hotel, Chicago

By Lu

Hope my friends wouldn't kill me. I have many friends who work for hotels, and even better, Chicago hotels. But I have to report on what I truly believe is top shelf hotel in my book.

I just arrived in the US after 31 hours of flying back from Indonesia. Got home, and packed my bag to go again to attend our company 2 day meeting at the Elysian. But wow...what a nice treat. I did not even miss my own bed after being away from home for 3 weeks.

When I arrived there, I never expected to get in a front gate that leads to a cobblestone courtyard with fountain.. No, I did not expect for any downtown Chicago hotels to have a courtyard in the middle of Gold Coast area. I was instantly impressed. It was an experience just to get in to the courtyard of the hotel.. We did not have to wait in line trying to get the car valet parked, without trying to fight the cabbies to get ahead.

A couple of nice looking impeccable valet guys approached me. "Well..hello there.." I cracked a smile right away. One took my car, one took my bag and offered me a bottle of Evian. Nifty.

We went in and checked in, and the decor was beautiful. It was hard to explain the theme, as it was classic but yet it exuded modern ideas in every way. They then told me that it was inspired by Coco Chanel..classic, yet refined, and timeless. It sure did capture all those elements.

Got into my room... and wow was the only word that came in mind. And then..why in the hell was I alone! It was just unfair. You had this beautiful suite and all you could do was sleep and wake up the next morning for more meeting.
You came in the room, there was a huge closet on the foyer..a bar...not a mini bar...a bar...with wood drawers that turned out to be refrigerated. The bathroom was huge, with a big soaking tub, a separate shower with marble tile, and Asprey of London toiletries that were not hotel size. The bed was big and fluffy with a frickin awesome ipod player whose brand I forgot but it sounded like it should have been a 2 grand Bang & Olufsen product. Oh...and there it was..the fireplace. Yeah! The room had a fireplace.

That night, I soaked in the tub, making myself a bubble bath. My feet were so swollen from the long plane ride, and it felt heavenly. I forgot all my troubles for a moment, and just gave in to the blessings of life. This hotel is usually about $400 or $500 a night. However, we got a special bulk rate for the meeting/event.


Another cool thing about the hotel is also that there's no tipping allowed. They considered themselves to be intended for "Luxurian" and there's nothing luxurious about tipping. It is true. I always get stressed out in that type of situation like..oh shoot, do I have cash..I only a $20. Then you felt bad that you couldn't tip or you're compelled to try to find a way to break the $20 and it became a whole different experience. I like no tipping.

They also have 2 great restaurants there which I heard got one or two Michelin stars. Not bad.. I think they're called Ria and Balsan. There's also a bar on one of the upper floors. It is really dark and romantic. A lot of couples there, drinking and making out. I was way jealous wishing my boyfriend whom I don't have, was with me.

Please check it out and if you have the time and money, you will be glad to experience one night or two as a Luxurian at the Elysian.

http://www.elysianhotels.com/

2 comments:

  1. Can I ask you which company you work for that happens to have a corporate acct. with the Elysian? I'm curious to know how you managed to book at corporate rate.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any company can partner with a specific vendor(hotel, etc) and try to negotiate an agreement on rate, etc. It is quite common for hotels to offer corporate rate. You can contact them and find out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete