Saturday, January 8, 2011

Singapore Christmas Trip Part 1: The Not So Wonderful Find

By Crivenica

I know it’s 2011, but let’s not forget 2010 just yet.

It was a good year of travel. Unfortunately some of those trips I had to do solo without David, which meant a lot of time away from each other. That was the only bad thing about traveling last year. And it was the main reason why we decided to come to Singapore during the Christmas break - so we could do a little R&R away from Kathmandu together.

David and I have visited Singapore plenty of time, but usually only for a very brief stay. This time we stayed a few extra days with the intention of exploring the city more. We checked out restaurants reviews and made reservations at a few we’d like to try a month in advance!

For Christmas night, we had dinner at Au Petit Salut on Harding Rd that some say is one of the best French restaurants in Singapore. We beg to differ. The food was not bad, but it didn’t wow us either. David started with a very good lobster salad, while I had the lobster bisque. I enjoyed my tenderloin, but David’s lamb was under seasoned. But again, we didn’t have much issue with the food, it was the whole experience that was below par.

Dining in a fine dining restaurant isn’t just about the gourmet food. It’s ambiance, food presentation and most importantly, the service. That last part is the issue I had with Au Petit Salut. It started from the time we arrived. It was raining cats and dogs, but there was no attendant by the front door ready with an umbrella to welcome you out of your car or taxi. So dressed up as nicely as we were, we had to run for it and got a bit wet. Not a good start. Then when we got to the host station, it took awhile for someone to acknowledge us and greet us. But it was Christmas and we brushed it all aside and tried to enjoy the evening. Unfortunately, the service continued to disappoint us.

You probably think we’re expecting too much. But hell yeah, I expect a lot more than what we got. I do expect to be greeted by my name since it is listed on the reservation. I expect a professional server to present us with the specials and recommendations. I expect a sommelier to offer advice on wine pairing (especially at a French restaurant). I expect the server to name the dishes they present to us. I expect to be checked on after awhile, inquired whether we need more water or wine. I expect the server to explain the cheese on David’s cheese platter and I expect my souffle to be flambeed at the table in front of me. I expect a thank you and a merry Christmas as we walk out of the door. Is that too much to ask? No, not from a well-run fine dining restaurant!

David would be more diplomatic and say that some of the things I listed above might not be a requirement, but those are details that a well known establishment ought to pay attention to. And I think my co-blog contributor and sister, Lu, will agree with me.

So Au Petit Salut, if you’re reading this (which I’m sure they won’t because they lack interest in customer’s satisfaction and probably already think they’re the best), well-trained staff can make your restaurant remembered not just for your good food, but also for the wonderful and warm experience the patrons had while dining with you. Take note! Just so you know, Au Petit Salut is not on my top shelf and we will not return.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry I sent a letter to the manager. Seriously. David

    ReplyDelete